Dark jeans are hot and amazing, you can wear them almost anywhere , dress them up or down. But they can also be a pain ,the dark dye from the jeans rubs off on your seat, your purse and of course your underwear and then, as you wash them they fade like crazy so you don’t want to wear them anymore! The reason jeans fade is because for the most part they are made of cotton fibers dyed with ink, the ink fades as you wash them and wear them. Here are a couple of tricks to help keep your jeans looking nice and new longer.
- Soak in salt water before the first wash
- Wash them inside out
- Hang dry them
- Steam them
Soaking your jeans
Things you will need:
- One 16 ounce container of Sea Salt
- Use of a large sink or a bucket (enough room to completely soak your jeans)
- Cold water
- Fill plugged sink with cold water. Make sure you fill the sink with enough water to cover the dark jeans in water.
- Never ever wash your dark-colored jeans with warm or hot water.This will let the dye just bleed out and your jeans will fade right away.
- Some recommend vinegar. You can try it by just pouring a small bottle of vinegar in the sink.however you don’t need it, and your jeans will stink to the point you may end up washing them a couple of times to get the smell out.
- Pour one cup of sea salt into the water. Let the salt sit for a couple of minutes.
- Stir the water, until most of the salt is dissolved.
- Put your new dark-colored jeans in the sink and push the jeans under the water with your hands and make sure your jeans are completely cover and soak up the water.
- Let soak for about an hour. Check on the jeans every 10-15 minutes ago to make sure none of the fabric floats to the top.
- An hour later, the water will be dark ( this is normal) the dye is now set. Drain the sink and the rinse the jeans with cold water.
- Turning jeans inside out is another trick you can do to help to lessen fading when you wash your jeans.
- Wash in cold water on regular cycle.
- Dry them. I suggest hang drying, because the dryer also speeds up fading dark jeans.
- To get wrinkles out:
- put the jeans in the dryer for a couple of minutes on low
- hang them in the bathroom when you take a hot shower.
- Steam them with a steamer if you have one ( they are awesome, btw)